DON’T FALL INTO SATAN’S TRAP
The Armor of God
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
14 Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,
15 and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;
16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Every morning, and throughout the day when you are being tested and tried,
you may want to use this as an outline to guide you in prayer.
Picture yourself being surrounded by God’s power and empowered by Jesus
as he gives you each part of the full armor of God!
A. The Helmet of Salvation
1. My acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Savior saves me! (John 3:16) Have you accepted Jesus? Thank Jesus for saving you and reclaim his protection, healing and power for today and for eternity!
2. Put on the mind of Christ. One of the ways Satan pulls us down is through our mind. “As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is” (Proverbs 23:7). Examine what you say to yourself, what you think about, and invite Jesus to replace your thoughts with his thoughts. The Bible says that we can “have the mind of Christ” (1 Co. 2:16b). Pray that “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 2:5). Envision a helmet placed over your head to cleanse and protect your thoughts.
B. The Breastplate of Righteousness
1. A right relationship with God (righteousness) begins with repentance. When sin is working in our lives, we are being separated from God. Confess any sin (1 John 1:8-9) and any trust you have placed in getting right by being good enough (Eph. 2:8-9). Claim Jesus’ blood to wash away every sin and make you right with God.
2. Invite Jesus to make you into his likeness (Rom. 8:29). Focus on letting Jesus fill you with his light and goodness, pushing out anything else. Envision Jesus filling your body with light and placing radiant armor all around your chest and back.
C. The Belt of Truth
1. God’s Word promise that “you will know the truth and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:32). Invite Jesus to show you the truth about yourself, both beautiful and ugly. You need not fear what others say if you know the truth about yourself.
2. The Evil One and the world are filled with deceptions. Pray for the gift of the Spirit to discern what is true about others and the world (1 Jn.4:1-2). Ask God’s grace to know and to believe and to speak and to live only the truth. Envision Jesus wrapping a wide, pure white belt around your waist, the belt of truth.
D. The Sandals of Peace
1. Stand in the Peace of God. “Allow the peace of God to rule in our hearts” (Col. 3:15). “Be still and know that I AM God” (Psalm 46:10). “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:6-7).
2. Be ready to be reconciled with those with whom you are in conflict. Jesus teaches, “agree quickly with your adversary” (Mt. 5:26). Don’t accept false guilt, but look courageously within yourself for the truth of any accusation and confess it. Be quick to ask forgiveness, to give it, and to seek healing for hurts in ourselves and others. “Happy are the peacemakers for they shall be called the sons and daughters of God” (Mat. 5:9). Envision Jesus giving you new shoes so you can stand solidly and also run swiftly to meet others in peace. Put the shoes on your feet.
E. The Shield of Faith
The arrows with which we are assaulted are temptations, fears, and doubts about God and ourselves. The shield of which Paul writes is a large thick shield. When burning arrows were shot in warfare, the arrows sunk into the thick, layered wood of the shield and were quickly extinguished. Envision yourself holding a large shield with which you can stop any burning arrows shot toward you. That shield is faith in Jesus Christ, who let Satan do his worst to him on the cross, and who rose up in victory! “Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Co. 15:57).
F. The Sword of the Spirit
So often we get tied in knots: family or cultural traditions, habits or addictions, promises we have made, or rules others (not God) have written on our hearts. Fears, desires, and all kinds of spiritual forces of in our world hold us in bondage. As we see the threats, temptations, illnesses and habits that bind us from living in health and freedom, envision Jesus giving you the sword of the Spirit. Take it and cut any bonds that have imprisoned you.
The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. To claim its power, read and study your Bible, and memorize sections of it so that you have God’s Word on your heart and ready when you are tested. Listen also for God’s
living Word in every event or inner nudging of your day or night. “God works together with those who love Him to make GOOD in ALL THINGS” (Romans 8:28).
G. Final Prayers
Paul tells us to complete our preparations by praying in the Spirit. Let the Holy Spirit lead you in worshiping God. Pray also for others, that all of God’s people may stand strong and faithful in the armor of God!
Armor of God Prayer Outline:
Picture yourself putting on:
1. The Helmet of Salvation
Re-claim and celebrate your salvation.
Let Christ give you his mind and thoughts
2. The Breastplate of Righteousness
Get right with God by confessing any sin.
Invite Jesus to make you into his likeness.
3. The Belt of Truth
Ask Jesus to show you the truth about yourself.
Ask for discernment to know God’s leading from that of the Evil One.
4. The Sandals of Peace
Exhale fully and breathe in the Peace of God.
Invite the Holy Spirit to show you anyone with whom you need to be reconciled. Forgive them and seek your forgiveness.
5. The Shield of Faith
Envision yourself with a mighty shield, capturing and extinguishing doubts and temptations.
6. The Sword of the Spirit
Take the sword to cut yourself free from anything that restricts you from living in faith and health.
Praise God for His Word, in the Bible and in life.
7. Final Prayers
Let the Holy Spirit lead you in worshiping God and intercede for others God brings to mind.
The Armor of God as described in Ephesians 6:10-18 provides defensive and offensive weapons Christians are given to fight and win the spiritual battle for their souls. With a devil intent on stealing, killing and destroying everything Godly and good, this Armor is absolutely necessary to counteract every attack.
In verse 11, the Apostle Paul writes, “Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” Dictionary.com defines the word ‘wiles’ as “artful or beguiling behavior; a trick, artifice or stratagem meant to fool, trap or entice.” With this in mind, Christians should not underestimate the lengths that the devil will go to divide and conquer, and to prevent the fulfillment of one’s destiny in Christ.
To protect and to have power, Christians must put on the Armor of God every day, preferably in the morning. While reading Ephesians 6:10-18 can help Christians put on their armor, some people have found it useful to recite a prayer aloud in order to prepare for the day’s battle, whatever it may be. The following is one version of such a prayer.
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with the truth
Thank you Lord for Your truth as described in your Bible. You are truth and You alone set me free from sin and lies. Today, I choose to believe Your truth and about who You are and who I am as Your child. Holy Spirit, lead and guide my thoughts in Your path of truth. Help me to make wise decisions today based on Your Word. Help me to speak the truth in love to myself and others. Let Your truth prevail in all things.
Having put on the breastplate of righteousness
Thank you Lord for Your breastplate of righteousness. I put it on and it will protect me throughout the day. I remove any robes of self-righteousness or works of the law that would glory myself and distract me from the finished work of Jesus at the cross. I now put on Your righteousness. With Your breastplate, I will protect my heart, for out of it flows the issues of life. Help me to keep my heart clean and pure before you and to use the breastplate of righteousness to resist sin and self-indulgence.
And having shod your feet with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace
Thank You Father for Your good news of peace to me, and to the world. I put on Your gospel of peace that I might share it with everyone I come in contact with. May my steps be secure and protected today. Prepare me to speak with wisdom about Your love and the blessings you have in store for the upright. Help me to live from peace and walk as a peacemaker.
Above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one
Father, I thank You that You are my shield and the glory and lifter of my head. I want to please You, Lord, today with my faith in You. I put my hope in You as my Savior, though I do not always see what You have in store and don’t always understand what you are doing. My trust in You puts you between the enemy and me. I am forever secure in You and inaccessible to my enemy. Today, I will sow seeds of faith that will result in miracles and blessings.
And take the helmet of salvation
Father, thank You for saving me from sin and death. I receive your gift of salvation, deliverance and healing. I have the mind of Christ and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Help me to think pure thoughts and to remember to praise You and glorify You for making me a new creation. Make my mind new and help me not to be ignorant of the plans of the enemy. With the helmet of salvation, I will retain the mind of Christ and reject the plans of the enemy.
And the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God
Thank You father for the weapon of Your Word and Your Spirit. When the enemy comes to steal, kill or destroy me or those I love, quicken Scripture to me so that I can stand and fight the spiritual battle. May my sword (God’s Word) be fully exercised to defeat the enemy today.
In the Name of Jesus, Amen.
Written by: Jamee Rae
Lord Jesus Saves †